BECOME A MEMBER SUPPORTER

Help keep our free events going by becoming a supporter of Global Ed Events! Your donations will support the Global Education Conference, Global Education Day, Global Collaboration Week, and more! We appreciate you! Click HERE for more information.

Premier Partners

Huge thanks to our premier partners! For more information on supporting our events by becoming a premier partner organization, click HERE

PARTNERS

Your Name and Title: Lisa C. Camichos- English and Social Studies teacher

School or Organization Name: Hickory High School

Co-Presenter Name(s): Jessica Esposito

Area of the World from Which You Will Present: Hickory, North Carolina (USA)

Language in Which You Will Present: English

Target Audience(s): Middle School and High School

Short Session Description (one line): Learn how to excite students to learn about the modern-day refugee crisis through: reading, academic writing, social media, and art.

Full Session Description (as long as you would like): 

Jessica and I created a lesson plan centering around current-day refugees. The goal of this lesson was to incorporate both learning and emotions to convey not only needed information for the curriculum, but to instill a sense of empathy and sympathy in my students.

This project is a combination of digital, blended, and art-based learning. The premise, although simple, is powerful. Working in collaborative groups, students chose a refugee from a list I provided. The students researched their refugee, and wrote a short biography using MLA format. Students then recorded their refugee’s biography, and embedded the recording on a QR Code. Then, using old suitcases, the student groups created a visual representation of their refugee. There were no parameters other than the suitcase must represent their refugee in some way. Some groups depicted a specific scene from their refugee’s life, and some groups were more abstract. The QR codes were placed inside each suitcase- the idea being a person can listen to the refugee’s story (as told by the students) while looking at the art work. The entire project culminated with individual students using social media to share their suitcases, and their personal thoughts on the refugee crisis.

This presentation includes will demonstrate step-by-step how to help your students create a meaningful project including: Rubrics, Checklists, and assessments.

Websites / URLs Associated with Your Session: bit.ly/Thethingstheycarried

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lisa, 

Your proposal sounds great! I will approve it as soon as you edit your proposal and add the required tags in the proper format according to step 9 of the call for proposals. This ensures that your proposal appears in the tracks that you prefer.

Thanks,

Lucy Gray

I changed the tags. Please let me know if these are correct.

Thank you for your input, and assistance.

Have you considered an online connection between your students and the refugees?  WhatsApp may have its limitations but it is accessible in grassroots Africa

RSS

© 2019   Created by Lucy Gray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service